Re: Different translations for a single string in debian installer

Cc. to TP list since it's about gettext.

On 23/10/2006, at 7:15 PM, Ming Hua wrote:

If we can't use msgctxt yet, can't we put the context into the
comment fields instead?

I have no idea what msgctxt is (my gettext 0.15 in Debian doesn't have
it), but these comments are read by the program, so I believe you can't
put it in the comments.

msgctxt is a formal context field, e.g.

msgctxt "This is a button: keep it short"
msgid "Convert"
msgstr "Đổi"

It's an innovation we've needed badly for a long time, but until enough people and servers are running gettext 0.15, we can't use it. :(

Bruno, where does one find info on msgctxt in gettext-0.15? "msgctxt --help" doesn't respond.