Ideas about wiki translations (was: Re: Proposed hierarchy for L10n stuff in wiki.d.o)

On 10/23/2006 12:51 AM, Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-10-22 at 21:57:08 -0200, Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw) wrote:
>
>>On 10/22/2006 04:05 PM, Guillem Jover wrote:
>>
>>>I'd like to propose to use a L10n/Lang/Page hierarchy for wiki.d.o in
>>>the same way we are using for I18n. I've renamed the Catalan pages
>>>already, and the general ones as Christian agreed, but not the team
>>>specific ones, I let this to each team if they agree. Just by
>>>searching for l10n in page titles will show the list.
>

>>	Is it related to the entire wiki translation?  Or just for the
>>L10n section?
>
> Only to the l10n section.

	Ok, so let's fix the subject. ;)

>>	I'm asking because for a long time I want to propose that we
>>use the same model of [1]Debian-Women wiki for translations, which
>>means changing from a "page-based" to a "directory-base" approach.
>>Instead of adding language codes to each page, we should kept the
>>original name of the pages and add it to the language directory,
>>something like:
>>
>>		http://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage
>>
>>	pt_BR: 	http://wiki.debian.org/PortugueseBR/FrontPage
>>	fr:	http://wiki.debian.org/French/FrontPage
>>	es:	http://wiki.debian.org/Spanish/FrontaPage
>

> I thought about that when I saw the FrontPage, but let's fix one
> problem each time. ;)

	Sure, I just want to add the information because since the
beginning of the wiki I want to speak about that but I was always
delaying it to make a more "formal" proposal. As I will probably
take ages to write the "formal" proposal, let's try another approach
and here we are. :)

>>	It could allow us to have a more ordered way for translation,
>>name consistency, easy to search, to check, and maybe we can
>>implement some header checks like webwml and get it working with po4a.
>>(Hi Nicolas :D).
>
> Another important point to consider would be how moinmoin does content
> negotiation, if it does at all, and/or how it could be implemented or
> used with the translated pages.

	In [1]HelpOnUserPreferences you will find that the Preferred
Language is taken from the browser, but I couldn't find pages on
MoinMoin's wiki talking about Content Negotiation. I found a [2]
page talking about wiki translations that says MoinMoin has no
Content Negotiation. Last, but not least, MoinMoin's [3]page about
translations.

  1. http://wiki.debian.org/HelpOnUserPreferences
  2. http://www.a2e.de/ffii/06/01/19/web/
  3. http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/MoinDev/Translation

	There are some ideas to get it "flaged" by the original author,
things that are fast moving targets shouldn't be translated, but there
info on the wiki that would be great if translated, the idea is to have
some sort of "Add this if you want to ask translators to work on this
page".

>>>I've created as well <http://wiki.debian.org/L10n>.
>
> I've created now as well the one for I18n, and linked them both from
> the FrontPage.

	Cool!

>>	Thanks for the nice work. :)
> You're welcome. =)