Re: request for translation questions

Hi Frank :)

Welcome to Deb18n !

On 11/10/2006, at 6:22 AM, Frank Habermann wrote:

i am the maintainer of knowledgeroot.
I have some translations in knowledgeroot and want to have some more
translations. So should i do to get more translations?

Come here and ask. :)

And make sure your strings are clearly understood: it really helps to add some context, even if it's as simple as:

#. Noun
msgid "Tile"

#. Verb
msgid "Tile"

(These two won't be the same word in other languages.)

#. Button
msgid "Open in editor..."

(So we know to keep it short.)

#. An essential summary
msgid "Abstract"

(Any non-conversational terms should be explained, or it can take us a lot of extra time to work out what you mean.)

Using gettext-0.15, you can use the msgctxt field for context, instead.

We translators all wish heartily for developers who:

1. freeze their strings at least 2 wks before release
2. tell us about the string freeze and release-date, and ask for translations (link to files)
3. provide clearly-understandable strings
4. respond positively to feedback

Do all those, and you will get plenty of translations! :)

In knowledgeroot the languagetokens are saved in php-arrays that are saved in
one file for each translation.
So what is the best way to give translators the information for translation? I could create a po file from the php-array. After translation i will transform
it back to a php-array.

PO files would be great. Please give us a URL to download the POT file, and any partially-translated PO files.

Good luck with your release. :)