Re: [g-i] new screenshots available: Vietnamese

On 22/06/2006, at 8:51 PM, Clytie Siddall wrote:

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/screenshots/ 20060621_dejavu2.7/

In Vietnamese, it's just readable at that size, but it's not very good. I have to guess some of the diacritics from the context, because they blend into each other, there's just a blob instead of two distinct diacritics. The a-grave is definitely weird, almost separates the a from the previous character: the grave should be centred above the vowel.

I'm downloading the package, and will send you a detailed critique. I hope that will be useful. :)

I've now downloaded the font package (2.7) and examined the font closely.

I typed out the first part of the text shown in the screenshot above, using dejavu 2.7, and I am puzzled as to why the display is so different.

I have sent my screenshots separately to Davide, since they shouldn't come to the list.

Used on my own computer, Dejavu has definitely improved. The circumflex and grave combination is correct, and there is less anomalous spacing between characters. The misaligned diacritics and characters of the original screenshot do not occur.

However, I would still advise centring the diacritics more, making them finer and focussed on the centre of the vowel. That is what our eye expects when reading our language. Any diacritic which weighs too far on one side or the other is actually confusing. For example, the grave accent should lie more over the vertical symmetric axis of the vowel.

I don't understand why it looks so tatty in the original screenshot. Is that likely to happen in the Installer? I certainly hope not. :(