Re: [translate-pootle] New backend API

Gintautas Miliauskas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I didn't see any further comments about the proposed API, so I'll be
> starting with an implementation (first a simple pickle-based one, and
> then a wrapper for pofile).  Will keep you posted.
>
> Best regards,

Hi Gintautas

Unfortunately other things have prevented me from being more involved
here...
I just wanted to explain the current state of my branch as I think it is
very relevant to what you are doing.
Basically as you know we have the current API for translation storage in
the translation toolkit, and the PO classes now inherit from that.
However Pootle started out using the original PO class API, which still
works but isn't compatible with the other backends, and doesn't handle
escaping, etc consistently.
In the Pootle-locking-branch I've been working on clearing out some of
these inconsistencies, so that the base class API is used.
There's still a bit more work to do, but its a fair bit of the way there.

I just mention it because if you're going to work on adapting stuff to
your API (which sits on top of the base class API as far as I
understand) then this may be a better starting point than the current
HEAD code.
I also have been trying to separate out some of the stuff that was far
too intermingled - statistics, etc, etc - so it is already a bit cleaner
(although there's more to do).

If you have a look at it, let me know what you think. The relevant wiki
pages are:
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/locking
and to some degree (this is plans not implementation)
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/pootle/metadata

Great having you involved
David