Re: [translate-pootle] [Fwd: Re: Wordforge]

Hello,

> We have to assume that contextual information in necessary. If you
> are translating an OpenOffice help file, you really want to know what
> are the prior and posterior strings are. You can either get them from
> the DB, or just use the API access of the server, which is already
> there... and use complete files. The present system uses complete
> files, and it would probably be a lot of change to have to move this
> to direct API access. I think that Otavio is right on this one... but
> let's ask Friedle.

Well, if some operation, say "get contextual information" is required,
we can just put it into the backend.

Actually I think that there will not be too many changes to adjust to
the new backend.  I look a lot at what you have at present as I go.
Surely the present system does not use files as streams of bytes, it
uses an object that encapsulates a file.  Our new API will probably be
quite similar to the interface for this object.

This seems to me implementation issue and thus it can be decided at the
time of implementation.  I think it is important to get the conceptual
structure right, that is, which package depends on which package.  We
can think about backward-compatibility hacks later.

--
Gintautas Miliauskas
http://gintasm.blogspot.com