Re: tasksel tasks question

On 6/11/06, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
Theppitak Karoonboonyanan wrote:
> - What is the purpose of language task and -desktop task?
>
>  For example, should a package like localized X terminal emulator
>  be installed by language task? (It is currently.)
>  Or could we assume that all packages with X dependency should
>  go to -desktop task?

The purpose of the language task is to provide a localised console and a
generally localised system. The purpose of the desktop language task is
to make the desktop task works as well as possible with the language,
including heavier dependencies like input methods, additional programs,
localisation for openoffice, and so on.

OK. That means X dependency obviously implies that the
package belongs to desktop language task.

> - How should the GNOME-specific or KDE-specific packages be
>  separately installed?

We don't currently split these (might later) currently they both go in
the desktop task.

So, I assume a minimal set of DE-specific packages could be
listed, regardless of their probably irrelevant dependencies,
right?

> - How should some considerably rare packages be optionally
>  installed?
>
>  For example, it would be convenient for Thai LaTeX users to
>  have some filter tools available. But certainly most end-users
>  of popular desktops never feel the needs of such packages.

Better not to include this kind of thing, the supplimental language
tasks should only provide things needed to enhance the desktop tasks for
that language.

OK. That's clear enough.

Thank you for your explanation.

Regards,