Re: Question about dpkg-divert

On Tuesday 17 October 2006 03:22, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-16 at 21:58 -0400, darehanl wrote:
> > and what does packages' refer to?
>
> "packages'", with the apostrophe, is the genitive form of "packages".
>
> The context in dpkg is this:
> > the name used by other packages' versions
>
> Here it's the possessive genitive; a paraphrase would be "the name used
> by the versions of other packages".
>
> Normally, one would addd "'s" to the end of a word to create this form,
> but this is differnt for words ending in -s. Compare it to:
> - "Jack's book" <-> "the book of Jack";
> - "Thijs' book" <-> "the book of Thijs".
>

> Hope this clears it up a bit.
> Thijs

Eh... I think I'm having trouble with the word 'version,' actually.

I have two packages: great_cdr and cool_cdr. Both 'own' the
file /etc/cdr.conf. If I understand correctly, dpkg-divert will modify both
packages so that great_cdr will use /etc/cdr.great_cdr.conf and cool_cdr will
use /etc/cdr.cool_cdr.conf.

   --local means both packages will be modified; packages' version here means
the file /etc/cdr.conf for both packages.

   --divert-to /etc/cdr.conf.1 will mean use /etc/cdr.conf.1 instead
of /etc/cdr.conf.

Is this correct?

PS: Sorry, I know I have a habit of making simple questions convoluted:-(