Re: new netcfg translations from Ubuntu

On Mon, Aug 21, 2006 at 11:38:06AM -0500, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Colin Watson (cjwatson@debian.org):
> > I just committed a change to netcfg pulled from Ubuntu that includes
> > some new strings. I've attached some translations for these strings from
> > Ubuntu. Please feel free to use them if you want.
>
> Well, of course we all agree that this is up to each team to decide if
> they'll use these translations or not.
>
> I will personnally review the French part and see if it fits the
> French l10n team use of translation.
>
> But does this mean that people are working on "d-i" translation in
> Ubuntu or do they just work on strings that are not used by Debian?

I have no control over what people do in Rosetta, but when asked, I tell
them that I only incorporate strings that aren't in Debian (although
occasionally I do incorporate strings that are untranslated in Debian,
but not many of those and only when it's convenient or necessary). For
most languages I'm not in a position to decide which of two translations
are "better", so I don't want to carry unnecessary diffs to
translations.

Maintaining d-i translations of strings that aren't in Debian is a big
chunk of work for me, and it's not a whole lot of fun.

> I know that the KLurdish team indeed works in Rosetta for D-I
> translation.

As far as I'm concerned, they're responsible for merging those
translations into Debian themselves; I don't speak Kurdish, so there's
no realistic prospect of me being able to do so for them.

Cheers,