Re: Google summer of code: i18n infrastructure

On Saturday 13 May 2006 02:03, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Friday 12 May 2006 23:13, Zejn Gasper wrote:
> > I'm putting diagrams online:
> > http://www.kiberpipa.org/~hruske/stuff/debian-i18n/
>
> I have not followed the discussions so far in detail, but one thing I
> have missed so far (please correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> IMO it should be possible to assign "ownership" for a specific
> translation to a specific translator.

exactly, and this concept is a central one IMO:

The translation owner's relationship with his translations is roughly
equivalent to that of a package maintainer's with his packages:
- you have 1 person that does most of the work
- other people in the team report comments/bugs (especially during the
  review stage, but bugs/comments do get reported outside of that)
- in case of discussion/disagreement the translation maintainer normally has
  the final say (after discussion)
- translations sometimes get orphaned at which point someone else should
  take over (clear indication of this is currently missing on all status
  pages, happens every once in a while, translations usually get picked up
  by someone else inside of a couple of days IME)
- NMU's are possible but only if the translation maintainer is absent/not
  getting around to work, and after contacting the maintainer (have only
  seen this for things like d-i where several translators have access to the
  repository, and even then it's uncommon)
- Sometimes translators go MIA at which point translations can be hijacked.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)