Re: Third call for votes for the debian project leader election 2006

On Friday 07 April 2006 12:51, JC Helary wrote:
> >> What do you call translation maintenance anyway ?
> >
> > keeping the translation up-to-date, and responding to bugrepports
> > about
> > existing translations?
>
> So that would mean that people who contribute new translations cannot
> be considered mantainer ?

if they only do the original translation, and don't bother to update keep
their translation then no.

off course substitute package for translation and you get te same result.

> Obviously, considering how Debian is growing every month, there is
> much more than plain "maintenance" involved in _any_ Debian process.

the first step of maintenance would be to aquire the thing to maintain be
that by creating a new package or a new translation.

> There is a constant flow of contributions that, once accepted have to
> be maintained, but the maintainance part is 100% dependant on the
> contribution part and they _cannot_ be seen as equivalent.
>
> So the question is: does Debian value maintainers ? or contributors ?
> or both ?

the NM-process is indeed meant to weed out those that don't have the
commitment to maintain their contributions (that's why there's a
requirement for a record of sustained contributions to Debian), I would've
thought that even the current NM-corner makes that quite clear.

That doesn't mean that new contributions aren't appreciated they are (wether
those contributions are in the form of packages, bugfixes, bugrepports,
translations or something else is irrelevant).
In some ways Debian depends on them. BUT we do require a higher level of
commitment from those who wish to become official project members, i.e.
DD's.
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)