Re: base, essential, core - important terminology question.

Note: I'm neither a Debian expert or a linguist, but I am a native (British) English speaker... :)

SZERVÁC Attila wrote:

Hi,

These terms are hard for my team during the translation.

We can't find clear policies! I can't see the exact relations :

Base system - package: various priority & variuos sections: e.g.
              Required/base Important/admin Standard/libs even Extra
              packages
"Base" seems to be used here in the meaning of "foundation" as in the foundation of a building - everything else is built on top of this.

Core packages - What is the difference ? What is `Core' exactly ? I
              can't translate as `most_important, standard or base'
              packages 'cause `Important' & `Standard' are priorities
              (see above), `Base' is a section.
"Core" seems to be used in the sense of an apple's core... the central part that holds everything together - everything is build around this.

Essential packages - a new term again (mainly used in higher pm's -
              aptitude for example) - What is the difference ? What is
              `Essential' exactly ? I can't translate as `most_important,
              standard, base or core' packages 'cause `Important' &
              `Standard' are priorities (see above), `Base' is a section
              & `core package' is undefined term in other tools.
(For completeness).  "Essential" is "that which you can't do without".

I think these (&others) are wrongly mixed, imperfectly_defined terms
FUD-ding users (so translators too), isn't it?

Can anyone help to solve this problem?

THX: sas-guest

All these terms seem to be saying the same thing in different ways. In this context, base and core are metaphors for essential. At least, that's the way I read it.

I hope this helps...  :)

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.