Re: base, essential, core - important terminology question.

On 26/02/2006, at 3:26 AM, SZERVÁC Attila wrote:

 These terms are hard for my team during the translation.

 We can't find clear policies! I can't see the exact relations :

 Base system - package: various priority & variuos sections: e.g.
               Required/base Important/admin Standard/libs even Extra
               packages

 Core packages - What is the difference ? What is `Core' exactly ? I
               can't translate as `most_important, standard or base'
               packages 'cause `Important' & `Standard' are priorities
               (see above), `Base' is a section.

 Essential packages - a new term again (mainly used in higher pm's -
aptitude for example) - What is the difference ? What is `Essential' exactly ? I can't translate as `most_important,
               standard, base or core' packages 'cause `Important' &
`Standard' are priorities (see above), `Base' is a section
               & `core package' is undefined term in other tools.

 I think these (&others) are wrongly mixed, imperfectly_defined terms
FUD-ding users (so translators too), isn't it?

 Can anyone help to solve this problem?

I agree with you, these terms are difficult to distinguish.

My language has separate translations for these three terms, but they are still so similar: how does the user distinguish them? If s/he needs to prioritize, which packages are the most important?