Summary of the early ideas about a debian-i18n meeting in Estremadura

> It will depend on the time of the year. As Andres Schuldei said, one
> possibility is a Monastery in the middle of the mountain. While this is
> a personal favorite, I don't recommend it in winter. The other
> possibility is a training center located in Casar de Cáceres (Caceres
> Province). This place is famous for its cheese.
>
> In any case, we'll arrange transportation from the Madrid airport to the
> meeting place. It's a 2-3 hours bus trip.

OK, Dario. Thanks for your answer.

As I understand from your answer, you can be the local contact for us
(us==debian-i18 people, less organized that it might seem....the first
goal of the meeting is organizing ourselves....).

We're slowly converging towards a Debian-i18n meeting in September
2006 (the only one for who this date is not convenient being Martin
Quinson).

I'll do my best to setup a meeting schedule. Nine months ahead is a
bit hard to include details, so the agenda would be quite general, the
more focused topics probably appearing after the Debian Conference of
May 2006 in Mexico.

Up to now, I have recorded the following people as interested:

-Lior Kaplan, from Israel. In charge of Hebrew l10n/i18n activities

-Denis Barbier, from France. Developer of the alternative locales
 package and one of the major i18n technical references in the Debian
 project

-Keld J ?rn Simonsen, from Denmark. Keld, please describe your
 activities in i18n

-Stefano Canepa, from Italy, In charge of Debian Installer italian
 l10n and involved in many Italian localization activities

-Giuseppe Sacco, from Italy, In charge of Debian Installer italian
 10n and involved in many Italian localization activities as well.

-Felipe Augusto van de Wiel, from Brazil. Highly interested in setting
up a general l10n framework for Debian (like other people in Brazil
such as Otavio Salvador)

-Miriam Ruiz, from Spain. Involved in the Debian women project as well
 as many development and i18n activities around the Spanish/Castillan
 language

-Martin Quinson, from France. Involved in Debian i18n for a long time,
though less involved because of real life constraints.

-"svaksha" (I only use her real name in public when she agrees) from
 India, Sanskrit translator for D-I and in Ubuntu.

-myself, Christian Perrier from France, one of the responsible people
 for i18n of the Debian Installer as well as permanent i18n advocate in
 Debian..:)

There are a few other people I'd like to see at such a meeting (non
exhaustive list, please do NOT hate me of you're not mentioned...and
just explain why you think you can have your role to play):

-Javier Fernandez Sanguino Pena, from Spain. One the the earliest
contributors about i18n in Debian

-Kenshi Muto, from Japan. Out strongest reference in i18n when it
comes at CJK languages support

-Jacobo Tarrio, from Spain. Long time translator for Galician. Jacobo
has a good knowledge of so-called regional languages issues

-Piarres Beobide Egana from Spain/Basque country. "pi" is our contact
 with the very active translaiton team for Euskara (Basque).

-Jordi Mallach and/or Guillem Jover. The two pilars of Catalan l10n in
Debian. Jordi is also a strong supporter of the Valencian language.

-Daffydd Harries. Has been (and is still?) involved in Ubuntu i18n/l10n

-Michael Vogt. He could represent Ubuntu as well in such a meeting

-Margarita Manterola from Argentina. Marga is very good for being the
 "voice of Latin America" and is certainly one of the key people for
 the future of Debian in her country and overall Latin America

-Petter Reinholdtsen, from Norway. Petter is also a long time pilar of
i18n in Debian. He is one of the leaders of the Skolelinux project.

-Konstantinos Margaritis, from Greece. Kostas is the reference in
Debian when it comes at Greek i18n. He is also very active in
Skolelinux.

-Eugenyi Meschscheryakov, from Ukraine. Eugenyi is one of the most
technically skilled developers when it comes at i18n, languages
rendering and such issues.

-Safir Secerovic, from Bosnia. Safir involved himself a lot in Bosnian
 localization and is slowly connecting a local network of people
 involved in localization all around the various countries in the
 Balkans. There are other contributors from these places who could
 join as well, though maybe less involved directly in Debian.

There are many other people I probably have forgotten. Again, do not
hate me, people. Just express your interest and give a few words
explaining why you think it's worth you participate in such a meeting
(please followup only to -i18n, no need to keep Andreas and/or Dario
CC'ed to everything).