Re: Sync for dpkg

> There's a couple of things I'd like to investigate for the 1.13 branch:
>
> 1) Notification of out-dated strings.  Would this help translators,
>    especially for continual translation (rather than calling before an
>    upload)?  We could use a system like Rosetta, or similar -- or just
>    home-brewed notification on dpkg.org.
>
>    I don't know what translators want, or how they like to work, you're
>    better positioned to answer this than me.

Given the number of translators involved in dpkg translations, I bet
that you can get as many answers as translators..:-)

I would say that the majority of us would prefer doing continual
translation, ie keeping their language to 100%, which usually involves
having a kind of "central" place where statistics are displayed along
with an easy way to access the PO files.

This is not really easy to fit with a non centralised development
model like arch-based development....this is mostly why I think that
having some "l10n coordination" for big things like dpkg is currently
needed.

> 2) man translation.  Currently we're doing man page translation by
>    simply shipping alternate copies of the pages in different languages.
>
>    To me this sounds like (relatively) a lot of work for translators to
>    figure out what's changed and update their copies.  I suspect this
>    explains why so few languages have translated languages, and nearly
>    none have a complete set!
>
>    It'd be good to investigate alternate ways of doing this, if there
>    are any.

Here, I think that we have a quite good answer with po4a ("PO for All") :
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/po4a/

Some software already use po4a for man pages translations and this is
quite well appreciated by translation teams.

You'll find an example of po4a use in man/fr for the shadow source
package. Other Debian native packages use po4a for their man pages
translations. Martin Quinson, or others, will probably give
examples. dpkg man pages translations could probably easily be
switched to PO format and then maintained more easily that way.