Re: Attempt to get a simpler setup of console fonts for systems installed by D-I

On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 07:18:14PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:

> Indeed the "ter-v16*" fonts are 512 glyphs fonts and thus cover

The 512 glyph fonts are fine if framebuffer is used but in text video
modes only 8 foreground colours can be displayed.

> The case of Cyrillic languages might be more complicated as a few
> glyphs may be missing for some of them (Eugenyi....your skills here
> could help).

I hope that the last upstream version of the Terminus font supports
these glyphs.  Even if it doesn't the upstream is willing to improve
the font and regularly releases new versions.

> I also CC Anton Zinoviev, who maintains console-terminus, to this
> mail. Anton, your help might be required if deeply technical issues
> are raised.....:-)

Thanks for your CC. :-)

Christian, I am sure you will like the following package:

svn checkout svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-kbd/people/zinoviev/console-setup

This package provides uniform fonts for the console and powerfull
keyboard configuration.  It supports virtually all languages and
should be usable with non-AT keyboards also (this is untested though).
I think this package will obsolete completely the current package
console-cyrillic.  The future versions of the fonts in
console-terminus will follow the codesets of the fonts in
console-setup.

Compile the package (this will take some time), install it and answer
the Debconf questions.  After reboot you will have a console
configured the way you want it and your preferences will be stored in
/etc/default/console-setup awaiting to be used by the X keyboard
configurator.

Anton Zinoviev