Re: comments/string changes and issues with dpkg's messages

On Fri, Aug 26, 2005 at 08:53:04PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Friday 26 August 2005 20:37, Denis Barbier wrote:
> >   dpkg: failed to write status record about `tcl8.4' to
> > `/var/lib/dpkg/status': No space left on device dpkg: failed to open
> > package info file `/var/lib/dpkg/available' for reading: No such file
> > or repertory
>
> Is 'repertory' a typo in the mail or actually in a string?

My bad, I ran tests in French and translated messages back into English ;)

> This IMO is another problem with a lot of ohshite messages: (unnecessary)
> use of terms and abbreviations which may be clear to a DD (hopefully) but
> will in no way help a user to identify the problem or work towards a
> solution.

Just to make it clear, the dpkg message is the one just after `dpkg: ',
the end of the sentence (eg `No such file or directory') comes from
libc.mo through strerror(errno):
  dpkg: <dpkg message>: <strerror(errno)>

Denis