Re: Country codes in DebInstLev1

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):
> Hello again :)
>
> I've encountered the list of country codes in Debian Installer Level 1,
> where the translator is asked to supply the localized country names to
> match each code.
>
> I have recently translated the ISO-3166 files, so the information is
> available. The problem is, that the current ISO-3166 files do not list
> countries by two-letter country codes, as in the Installer. They are
> listed by three-letter codes.

Well, there has been some early work to *remove* these "to be
translated" two-letter country codes. It has been left aside when
starting to freeze for sarge release as it involve a lot of changes in
the relevant package (choose-mirror....where users choose the mirror
where they want to download packages from.....the list is different
from the whole country list as many countries do no have Debian mirrors).

Your message reminds me all this, indeed. Now that we have started to
do some development work again, I think that I can maybe re-activate
this.

The work was nearly finished indeed, at least in July 2004, when I
left this aside.

The goal is to completely drop off these two-lettre codes and grab
things from ISO-3166 translations. In short, there would be no more
work for translators as soon as they have translated the ISO63166 list
like you did for Vietnamese. Moreover, we have another part of D-I
which *already* makes use of the ISO-3166 list (the part where users
choose their country after choosing their language).

> Do you want to the installer to use the three-letter codes, or I do I
> need to find a list of two-letter codes to compare with the ISO-3166
> information? If the latter, which list are you using?

ISO-3166 indeed normalizes 2-letter AND 3-letter country codes.

http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/index.html

I suggest you can put this aside as it is likely to disappear in the
future...this will save you about 80 strings..:-)