Re: Keyboard preseed for X

Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:

> 2) If debian-installer/keymap is not set or if its value
> is not in the map, the script will try to fall back to the
> previous method of checking the locale but with a
> difference. This time, it will try to be intelligent and
> if a locale entry is not in the list, the script will try
> to guess it (where that is possible). I give you an
> example using a quite improbable combination for a locale:

[...]

Wouldn't this pattern of which parts of the locale to
include make slightly more sense?

  Priority  Language  Country  Encoding  Modifier
     1st       +         +        +         +
     2nd       +         +        +         -
     3rd       +         +        -         +
     4th       +         +        -         -
     5th       +         -        +         +
     6th       +         -        +         -
     7th       +         -        -         +
     8th       +         -        -         -

This uses the assumption that the order of significance is
language, country, encoding, modifier.  It is basically
equivalent to a binary count from 0 to 7.

The benefit (as I see it) is that it acknowledges that (for
example) a match on language+country+modifier is better than
just a match on language+country, while it still respects
the precedence of significance.

Jacob
--
Growing older is compulsory. Growing up isn't.