Re: A few Debian packages use "cz" for lang code name for Czech

Quoting Martin Quinson (martin.quinson@imag.fr):
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 07:55:35AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just discovered that 4 Debian packages incorrectly use "cz" for the
> > language code for Czech: http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po-debconf/cz
> >
> > (of course, the correct code is "cs")
> >
> > I reported a bug against each of those, but wanted to let you be aware
> > of that. I think you need to check what package maintainers are doing
> > as, unfortunately, some people are wrong about the correct code for
> > your language.
>
> In my opinion, it is ways better than people using "br" for portuguese from
> brasilia. "br" is for breton, a celtic language spoken in the western part
> of France...
>
> http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po is full of such issues.

Well, as far as I can see, most of the translations you report above
are real Breton translations, not Brazilian Portuguese....

Moreover, these are often upstream programs translations and there's
often not much that can be done on
http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/. Investigating each use of
xx_YY in an upstream software translation and decide whether it is
appropriate or not (most often, it is not) is an incredibly huge work.

We should maybe first try to clean out the French translations, by the
way. http://www.debian.org/intl/l10n/po/fr_FR is full of "French as
spoken in France" translations which should be "French" translations.

I'm pretty sure that our Spanish friends have the same problem...as
well as German translators and most "multi-country" languages.