Re: How to repair inconsistent translations?

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:38:54AM +0200, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> The finnish language has all strings translated in debian-installer
> but the concatenated fi.po file shows that some msgid's are (alleged
> to be) translated differently in the applications.
>
> For some I can see the inconsistensy, but some of them seem identical
> to me. For example
>
>   msgid ""
>   "Debian comes in several flavors. Stable is well-tested and rarely changes. "
>
> shows three versions of the translation and after several readings I
> can not see how they differ.

The first one has an extra trailing space.

> This one I noticed when translating and wrote it the same way in all
> files.
>
> Anyway, how do I repair the "inconsistent" translations? I'm now using
> kbabel and it seems to find the already translated msgid only some of
> the time. When I started I used gtranslator, where automatic
> translation seemed to work (but gtranslator was otherwise too buggy to
> use).
>
> Does it work if I remove the other translations leaving only one, and
> then the next day after the system has copied them with fuzzy to the
> others, just remove the fuzzy? Is there a better way or a more
> recommended procedure?

I do not use kbabel, but I am pretty sure that you can create your own
message catalog (compendium) so that already translated msgids are
automatically filled in.  But I do not know whether you can update your
translations afterwards and have these changes propagated to PO files.

If the Project-Id-Version field of each PO file was set to the package
name, it would appear on each #-#-#-#-# line and you then know which
files to look at.

Another approach is to translate merged fi.po and run scripts/gettext-helper
to scatter msgstrs to all PO files.  I believe that Petter Reinholdtsen
does so, but I am not sure.  If you want to go this way, check your
changes with 'cvs diff'.  There is room for improvements, for instance
Mandrake folks define an aliased po module containing all po directories
  http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/CVSROOT/modules
This should be investigated, having a centralized repository would surely
help us a lot, but I did not find time to check that it works as expected
and propose this scheme to debian-boot.  Any help is very welcome if you
are interested by this feature ;)

Denis