Re: Translators for Release Notes required

* Tapio Lehtonen <tale@iki.fi> [2004-12-23 21:28] :
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 06:02:12PM +0000, Rob Bradford wrote:
> > Evening,
> >
> > I'm currently seeking translators for the Release Notes for the following
> > languages: ca, cs, da, de, es, it, ja and zh_TW. These were all present for
> > woody, if you can translate this important document into a new language that
> > would be more than appreciated.
> >
> > The release notes are currently stored in DDP cvs at:
> > http://cvs.debian.org/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/?cvsroot=debian-doc
> >
> > Please send patches to the cvs repository to debian-doc@lists.debian.org
>
> I'll start translating to Finnish.
>
> I did not understand why french translation had a .po file and
> makefile for po. What is that for? Should I also make a .po file?

Hello (I am the current french translator for the Release Notes),

The french translation is setup like this because the previous
translator (Denis Barbier) did it like that. Only the .sgml file is
authoritative here, the .po file is only for convenience and it makes it
very easy to update the translation in this way. For instance, when the
paragraph about german umlauts was commented out, it was simply an
update for the po file.

Fred