Re: Status of Debian Installer i18n framework improvements/changes

> The merged XX.po file is huge, so when there is a change in a templates
> file, translators prefer sending a diff to reviewers.  But context is
> then lost and reviewing a diff is much harder than reading a templates
> or PO file.
> A solution is to make all templates file names unique, thus translators
> can use msggrep to rebuild the changed file, e.g.
>   msggrep -N ../partman-lvm.templates fr.po > partman-lvm.fr.po
> Patches sent by reviewers against partman-lvm.fr.po should apply almost
> smoothly on fr.po (except when a msgid appeared in other files).

That is really interesting. I'll try to adopt this for the next
updates to the french translation which needs review. This should
probably go in the i18n documentation.

> In short, all remaining debian/templates files should be renamed to
> debian/<package>.templates when packages are merged together.

Yes, this is part of needed changes if going to the single file
model. If did it for a few packages but I didn't want to trigger a new
version just for this, so I limited the changes to packages which have
had other changes.

This was done about 10 days ago. I should look again as there are
still 25 packages in D-I with a file named "templates".

This change is also needed for having a better context in the merged file.

> Another painful drawback is that the fr.po history is almost unusable
> due to gratuitous commits.  For instance changes between 20204 and 20206
> seems to contain only formatting changes without content change.  Or if
> there is some content change, it is hidden by formatting changes.  This
> is not only true for your automatic commits, but also manual ones (as in
> 19954).  This was of course also a problem with many small files, but it
> becomes more annoying on a large file.

I have tried to minimize these gratuitous commits as much as
possible. Most of them may come from a few tests I did for the sync
script.

Hopefully, when the whole stuff will run smoothly, such changes should
disappear. Reducing gratuitous commits has been the most difficult
part of the job, btw. Especially when a POT files has a change in
POT-Creation-Date which goes up to the general template.pot file...and
then down into single PO files.....

Avoiding gratuitous PO-Revision-Date changes to packages PO files was
also a bit tricky.