Re: Translating NEWS.Debian?

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 06:54:13AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > However, I'm a bit concerned that non-English-speakers will be unable
> > to read NEWS.Debian since there is, AFAIK, no process in place to
> > translate it.  Have I missed something, or do we need another (!)
> > translation project?
> There is no strong infrastructure for translating these files, similar
> to the one we now have for debconf templates and program translations
> (also know as "Denis pages" :

My opinion on the topic (if anyone wishes to know) is that Debian could
become a fully-translated distribution -- it just needs an infrastructure.
Denis' pages are a big step forward. If we could extract some more files
(and documentation) from the packages, which need translation (as well as
packages' descriptions, it time to reanimate that project ;)) and create a
project on every language on Alioth and auto-synchonize files between
unstable and l10n-CVS, this work could be far more transparent to the
translators. BTW, one could open up several bug-reports for a package,
with a debconf/app/NEWS.Debian/description translation inside, these bugs
could be tracked and if necessary re-opened for each update -- the system
used by the Dutch team could be IMHO modified to accomplish that.

But that's all are just dreams for now, while it's not _that_ much work
(to _translate_ all that stuff would be though).

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org