Re: [debian-i18n] i18n of man-db improved; please test

>--[Colin Watson]--<cjwatson@debian.org>
> On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 02:27:25AM +0200, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:
> > >--[Colin Watson]--<cjwatson@debian.org>
> > > That's very curious, because I used those pages as test cases.
> >
> > You're right: I tested my mICQ man pages that ended up there as well. The
> > difference is that those contain an .encoding line, while the others don't.
> > Ooops. I thought those were helping things.
> and probably doesn't interact well with man also doing recoding.

Seems so :-(

> What .encoding line were you using?

.encoding KOI8-U
.encoding UTF-8

> > Btw, is there a way to display a man page in another encoding without the
> > necessity to open a new terminal for it? Because e.g.
> > LC_ALL=ru_RU.KOI8-R LC_CTYPE=UTF-8 man rpm
> > doesn't give me UTF-8 output, but KOI8-R.
> Your LC_CTYPE there seems wrong to me: you want LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.UTF-8,

I shouldn't do those things that late... Sure.

I still can't get uk_UA (ISO-8859-5) and sr_YU@cyrillic (KOI8-U (or
KOI8-R?)) to work (UTF-8 didn't help either). There are no man pages for
those in Debian, so that's not that surprising.

> > No idea. I consider the idea of depending language and encoding on each
> > other fundamentally flawed anyway. At least the fact that without some
> > installed locale, glibc can't even figure out that de_DE.UTF-8 uses the
> > UTF-8 encoding. Wonna check some man pages? No problem, become root, add
> > locale to the ever-increasing list of locales to generate, regenerate all
> > those, start a new terminal for it, then finally you can check it. Duh.
> I think that was a space-saving exercise. Can't comment on its wisdom or
> otherwise. I certainly swear at locale-gen's slowness every time I have
> to add a new one for testing, and generating anything in UTF-8 is
> particularly slothful. I wonder if there's room for optimization there?

Well can't glibc figure out the basics (i.e. encoding) without those files?
I wouldn't mind if I get the wrong date format or stuff like that if it gets
at least that right.

> > PS. Did I mention that latex-ucs* needs updating? Not that -Tdvi seems
> > to actually use it...
> You'd probably have to take that up with groff upstream. I don't really
> know the dvi device well at all.

It only works with latin1 as far as I can see. The HTML device is even
more obnoxious, as it uses HTML entities, so you can't just fiddle in a
charset tag and be done with it :-/

--
         100 DM =  51  € 13 ¢.
         100  € = 195 DM 58 pf.