Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf

Hi,

From: Tomohiro KUBOTA <debian@tmail.plala.or.jp>
Subject: Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:17:45 +0900 (JST)

> I think perl will have to have such an ability.  However, perl's own
> i18n policy needs large disk space which is not very good for debconf.
> Thus, even in future when perl would support all of (1) - (3) above,
> it would need large disk space.  This is why I think it is better to
> implement a debconf-specific lightweight mechanism than to implement
> a universal mechanism which is compliant to perl's policy.

When I edited my last mail, I deleted (1) - (3) but I forgot to
rewrite here.  (1) - (3) means: (1) multibyte support, (2) fullwidth
and combining support, and (3) rare whitespace languages support.
The current Text::Wrap support only (1) even in UTF-8 mode.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/