Russian localized install?

Hi,

I recently tried debian 3.0r1 install from CD #1. It
offered to make install in several languages but
Russian was not one of the available languages. I have
two questions:

1) what needs to be done to add Russian as one of the
available languages? I am a native speaker and could
help with translation.

2) if I select the language X at installation, will it
change the default locale etc., or is it just the
language used during installation?

I am not subscribed to the lists but I'll look for
your answers on the web.
Thanks in advance!
Regards,

=====