Re: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french

Em Mon, 27 Jan 2003 14:06:09 +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña
<jfs@computer.org> escreveu:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 04:03:39PM +0100, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > As coordinator of the french translation team, we would like to ask for the
> > creation of a new pseudo package in the BTS. It would be called l10n-french,
> > and would be made to repport problems in french translations.
>
> 	I'm not convinced this is a good idea for several reasons. The main
> one being that the BTS already holds a place for translation bugs, but that
> really depends on what the translation is _about_:
>
> 1.- is it a debconf template? then the package that included it should be
> bugged.
> 2.- is it a document that it's included in a package? then the package
> should be bugged (sample: doc-debian-fr)
> 3.- is the document not available in the package? Then file a bug against
> debian-doc
> 4.- is it a manpage? Is it packaged with the program: bug the program, is
> it not? bug manpages-XX (XX=es|fr|pt...)

That would work if we had official translators for every piece of software,
doc or template we translate. Someone who could keep monitoring his "packages".

Our reality is quite differente... we have quite few translators for a lot
of resources and a centralized way to receive and store translation bugs
is something that would help us a lot.

Michael Brammer helped us a lot by creating the DDTP, it has a nice centralized
bug reporting interface. But still, people need to know how to use the DDTP
to "report a bug".

As reporting bugs to the BTS is already known to lots of users it would help
us a lot if we had a l10n-pt pseudo-package, for example, with
debian-l10n-portuguese as the maintainer.

So, a user could report:

"manpage X on package Y has 'usuários' spelled 'usurios'"

And the translators would quickly know about that bug, and we would have
sane archiving of old and new bugs. If, instead, someone reports this to
the package Y, we would depend on the maintainer doing work for us, and
we already know not all maintainers are helpful on i18n matters =P.

We do not have manpower to monitor lots of bug pages.

> However, I _do_ see the need for a new BTS tag: 'translation'. This could
> probably make package maintainer's life easier as well as PTS subscribers
> to packages which only want to see translation bugs.

That would help, but a 'translation' bug could happen in any language,
and it would suck having to browse translation bugs for all languages
to find bugs reported on mine.

[]s!

--
kov@debian.org: Gustavo Noronha <http://people.debian.org/~kov>