Re: lists.debian.org de-localization

Hi,

From: Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT>
Subject: Re: lists.debian.org de-localization
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 01:10:29 +0100

> On Jan 06, Tomohiro KUBOTA <debian@tmail.plala.or.jp> wrote:
>
>  >> This is not needed, only spammers put raw latin-1 characters in mail
>  >> headers.
>  >The key point is that when we receive a mail with raw 8bit characters,
> The key point is that we should not even accept mail with raw 8bit
> characters in the headers.

Though I agree with you, it is an ideal solution.  As Stephen said,
there are people who use raw 8bit characters (intended to be KOI8-R).
If you could force them to use "right" MUAs, I would fully agree with you.

Anyway, in the current set-up of lists.debian.org, encodings such as
GB2312 and BIG5 (used in debian-chinese-gb and debian-chinese-big5,
respectively) are not supported and processed just like raw 8bit
characters.  We also have to deal with them.

I am now interested in MHonArc::UTF8.pm .  I had been thinking
that it converts all UTF-8 characters (besides ASCII) into &#xxxx;
expression and doesn't support east Asians, which was wrong.
It seems to convert *from* all non-UTF8 encodings *to* UTF-8
and seems to support east Asians also (because Unicode::MapUTF8
supports east Asian encodings).

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/