Re: lists.debian.org de-localization

Hi,

From: Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org>
Subject: Re: lists.debian.org de-localization
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:45:47 +0000

> If the headers contain 8-bit octets and are valid as UTF-8, it's
> fairly safe to assume that they really are UTF-8. Otherwise, you could
> look for a Content-Type field or make it depend on the mailing list.

A good idea, but I think people who use UTF-8 today are those who
know well on character encodings and don't send raw 8bit headers.

> I thought some Japanese non-spammers use iso-2022-jp in headers, which
> isn't 8-bit, but it isn't us-ascii, either. Am I out of date?

Sometimes I read raw iso-2022-jp headers.  However, fortunately,
there are no Japanese mailing lists in Debian.  (debian-japanese
is an English mailing list.)  And more, MHonArc seems not to have
features to convert Japanese into SGML entity or &#xxxx; expression
and we cannot support Japanese headers anyhow.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/