Re: [debian-i18n] i18n of man-db improved; please test

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 01:51:46AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
[...]
> I certainly swear at locale-gen's slowness every time I have
> to add a new one for testing, and generating anything in UTF-8 is
> particularly slothful. I wonder if there's room for optimization there?

There are several options:
  * localedef may be improved, but it requires a very good knowledge
    of libc internals wrt locales.
  * IIRC many UTF-8 locales are identical, one could generate only one
    instance of these ones.
  * When a locale definition (and all of its dependencies) does not
    change, it should be preserved and not regenerated.  This sounds
    feasible, but is not trivial either.

Another option is to backup a full locale-archive file outside of
/usr/lib/locale/ and erase /etc/locale.gen; after locales is
reconfigured, you copy this file back into /usr/lib/locale/

Denis