Re: Do dead keys work in 'testing'?

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 04:33:34PM +0200, Alexander Mikhailian wrote:
> A tiny experiment:
> --cut--
> ~$ uterm &
> ~$ export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

you need to do the export BEFORE you run uxterm

> ~$ setxkbmap us_intl
> --cut--
>
> then, I type `e and 'e  and get e and e on screen,
> instead of e accent grave and e accent aigu.
>
> xev shows that ` and ' are input as dead keys. uterm
> uses a unicode font the full latin-1 range. What's
> up?

is en_US.UTF-8 locale generated?
check out if file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/compose.dir
contains line:
en_US.UTF-8/Compose:    en_US.UTF-8
and there are files Compose and XLC_LOCALE in directory
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8

(I had the same problem with woody and self-generated UTF-8 locale -
dead keys did not work until I added the line and copied the mentioned
files into proper locations)