Re: BiDi and RTL

"Chris Tillman" <tillman@voicetrak.com> writes:

> My reasoning is there will be so little use of floppies from here on out.
> CD's are ubiquitous, the energy we spend making the installer fit in
> 1.4MB would be far better spent making our CD (and mini-CD) installation
> flawless, and concentrating on better network (nfs/bootp/etc.) support.

There seems to be a trend amongst the mobile laptops to NOT have a CD
drive.  You will need an external USB CD drive and the BIOS may not
support booting off it.  For example, Toshiba's Dynabook SS S4/275PNHW
is such a beast and it only boots off the CD drives made by Toshiba.
# I believe they call this legacy-free USB support or something.
However, booting from an external USB floppy drive works with any ol'
drive, so you might want to keep those floppies around for a bit.

BTW, this machine can boot of a PC card, so I ended up installing from
a home-brew 2.88Mb floppy image on smart media, installed the drivers
from floppy (the PC card was invisible after the boot) and pulled in
the rest from CD ;-)
# MY IO Data CD drive works fine, I just can't boot off it :-(

FYI,

  http://dynabook.com/pc/catalog/ss_c/020121s4/index_j.htm

Sorry, but in Japanese only I'm afraid.
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            Epson Kowa Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH