Re: keyboard switching

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:39:47PM +0200, debian mailing lists wrote:

> I have version 4.1.0-16 of X in woody distribution on my x86 PC.
> and I need to use cz qwerty and uk/us (=standard) keyboard map.
> So I have wrote following to my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>         Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>         Driver          "keyboard"
>         Option          "CoreKeyboard"
>         Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
>         Option          "XkbModel"      "pc102"
>         Option          "XkbLayout"     "us"
>         Option          "XkbVariant"    "cz_qwerty"
> EndSection
>
> but I don't know how to switch between these two keymaps and in fact
> I don't know if this is good solution for my problem... and i don't
> know where i can find some info about these config variables :(

To switch between default (english qwerty) and russian keyboards, I have:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc101"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "ru"
        Option          "XkbOptions"    "grp:menu_toggle"
EndSection

So in your case try setting XkbLayout to cz_qwerty; maybe you don't need
XkbVariant.  The grp:menu_toggle setting enables the switching, I think.  It
uses the Windows menu key to to the switch, so if you don't have one of those
you might need to try a different value for "grp".

Hope that helps,

Drew

--
PGP public key available at http://people.debian.org/~dparsons/drewskey.txt
Fingerprint: A110 EAE1 D7D2 8076 5FE0  EC0A B6CE 7041 6412 4E4A