Re: Do dead keys work in 'testing'?

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 03:31:44AM +0200, Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:
> Thomas PARIS escreveu em Mon, 22 Jul 2002 19:21:54 +0200:

> >> you need to do the export BEFORE you run uxterm
> >
> > Actually with all the installations I've tried, if I go to UTF-8 locale
> > *before* starting uxterm, dead keys do not work whereas if I do it
> > *after* the uxterm is started, they do work.

yesterday I was setting uxterm for one friend who had similar problems,
and noticed following:
he had generated sk_SK locale in ISO-8859-2 encoding
he had en_US.UTF-8 locale
he had export LC_CTYPE=sk_SK in his .zshrc
when he ran uxterm, dead keys were not working
dead keys were otherwise working for sk_SK locale
entries in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/compose.dir were correct
after some experimenting with strace(1), I realized that:
- uxterm tries to set up an utf-8 locale
- it looks for /usr/lib/locale/sk_SK.UTF-8, sk_SK.utf8 directories
- the directories are not there, so uxterm switches to POSIX locale
- the shell in uxterm sets up sk_SK locale for applications
- after setting LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8 in an uxterm, dead keys still do
  not work since uxterm works in POSIX locale

in his case, it helped just to generate sk_SK.UTF-8 locale

| Radovan Garabík http://melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |