Re: should manpages-nl get shipped with woody?

Joost van Baal <joostvb-debian-manpages-nl-20020412-51@mdcc.cx> writes:

> Hi,

> I maintain the manpages-nl Debian package: Linux manual pages translated
> into Dutch.  I doubt wether it should get shipped with the coming stable
> woody release: There is no upstream maintenance, most of the 115
> translations shipped with it are translations of potato manpages, made
> early 2001, so probably obsolete.  Therefore, the usefulness of this
> package is questionable.  Otoh: shipping it with woody will probably get
> more eyeballs on the package, which might result in a new upstream
> maintainer...
>
> Opinions?

Sure :-)

Depending on which manpages are included, I think that shipping these
manpages and running the risk that they are out-of-date is better than
not shipping them at all.  If they are for fairly basic packages then
I believe that most of the info in them is generally correct.  The AUI
(application user interface) of basic packages doesn't change an awful
lot over time.  I mean, how much has the invokation of for example rm
changed of the last decade or so?

HTH,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            Epson Kowa Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH