Re: 3.0.22 plan, translations (b-f bugs dropping like flies.)

On Fri, Mar 29, 2002 at 11:28:55PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> There is no real criteria.
> es.po was added behind the back without discussion, afaicr.
> The reality is, someone with enough courage decide what goes out.
>
> Now that we can use the CD-ROM for loading the languages,
> we are talking about languages which are loaded from FLOPPY.
> And honestly, having only European languages in the boot disks
> sounds too bad for an universal operating system.

I don't think it should matter whether they are European or Asian
languages - I think it most important that we serve our users.

The 12 languages in the world, minus the ones we don't have translations
for, are Mandarian Chinese, English, Spanish, Russian, French, German
and Japanese. (The top ten, from another source, Mandarian Chinese,
English, Spanish, Russian, and Japanese - another site has Chinese,
Spanish, English, Russian, Japanese and German in the top ten.)
(Portugese would have been on several lists had they had translated boot
floppies.)

While I wouldn't have it put them in the same order for Debian, all
those languages are languages used by large groups of Debian users.

IMNSO, if possible, Chinese, English, Spanish, Russian and
Japanese should go on the floppies first, followed by French and German.

(Of course, I'm only subscribe to debian-i18n, so I probably missed most
of the detailed discussion of this.)

--
David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
"It's not a habit; it's cool; I feel alive.