Re: flex and gettext

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Jordi Mallach wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 01:23:15PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> > 	I note that Debian has .po files for 2.5.4a, whereas the
> >  translation project only has translations for version 2.5,2. Since
> >  you were the maintainer when the i18n patches were installed into the
> >  Debian flex release, what was the method used? Dis we use the
> >  translation project? Where did the .po files come from?
>
> I guess Santiago included the available po files at the TP at the time
> of sending the i18n patch. [...]

Yes. If I remember well, there were no message changes from 2.5.2 to
2.5.4a (or they were not significant enough) (or maybe I just didn't
want to enter in the business of taking care of updating them :-) so I
used the unmodified .po files for 2.5.2 from the TP for the Debian
package.

The i18n patch was made by Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@adam.kaist.ac.kr>
in report #46838. I just updated it so that it used the most recent .po files
available (and all the languages available at that time).

BTW: Vern Paxson did never fully integrate gettext support into flex
itself because he didn't want flex to become GPL. gettext is now LGPL
so this should not be an issue anymore. It must be said, however, that
the current recommended method of gettextizing a program does not
involve adding an `intl' directory with the full gettext library
anymore, so it's very likely that the official i18n flex package using
current standards will end up being very similar in size to the
current Debian flex package.