Re: php and locales

Hi,

At Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:28:14 -0600 (CST),
starner@okstate.edu wrote:

> >pdr@reggie:~$ dict Plankalk?l
> >1 definition found
>
> Woohoo. A bug in the dict client passed invalid data (not in UTF-8)
> across the net, and a bug in the dict server passed invalid data back,
> coincidentally working. Can't wait until it's fixed so you can look
> up Plankalk?l in a UTF-8, or EUC-JP locale, and it just works, in an
> RFC-compliant fashion.

In EUC-JP locale, there are *no* way to read the ISO-8859-1 character.
It is natural.  It is not a bug of any softwares.  If you want to
design your software to be usable under EUC-JP locale, please don't
use ISO-8859-1 character.  If you really want to use ISO-8859-1
character, please say "Hey CJK people, work hard to develop usable
UTF-8 environment, otherwise you cannot use this software!"

(If your software cannot use ISO-8859-1 characters even under UTF-8
locale, it _is_ a bug.)

(I checked your mail is written in ISO-8859-1 by checking the header,
obtained the hexadecimal value of the character to be 0xFC, and then
checked ISO-8859-1 table
http://kanji.zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~yasuoka/CJK/96CHAR/iso8859.1-1987.gif
to find it is a "u" with umlaut.)

---