Re: [I18n]mlterm with BiDi support

Hi,

At Mon, 24 Dec 2001 08:30:20 +0200 (IST),
Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> So for me bidi support should be added, as long as there is an easy way to
> disable it on *runtime* (not just on the command-line).

Thank you for your comment.  Mlterm satisfies this point, like Robert
Brady's XTerm patch.

Note that BiDi support is available only in UTF-8 mode.  This is partly
because we don't know any BiDi-needed encodings other than UTF-8.

> What is the overhead of bidi support? Any reason someone might not want it
> because of that overhead?

I am using mlterm with Celeron 300MHz and I don't feel any overhead.

> Other than that, it will only matter for people who run into RTL text. And
> those people will probably want it on by-default.

Thank you.  I was afraid that native Hebrew/Arab speakers are starting
to use BiDi application softwares which are assumed to be run on
non-BiDi-supporting terminals or they use display-order text file.

I'd like also to ask native Arab speakers on this point.  Note that
mlterm supports Arab shaping also.  Any comments?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/
"Introduction to I18N"  http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/