Re: Using gettext in scripts

On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 02:58:52AM -0200, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Hello,
>
> maybe someone here can point me to some good manual on how to
> use gettext on shell scripts?
>
> my main problem is how to get the strings on the shell script
> written to a potfile, are there specific options to xgettext?
>
> I made an ugly hack, made a .c file with _("message") and
> processed it with xgettext to build the potfile, then
> translated it to pt_BR to try it out and called gettext
> from inside the script and it works, but it is, as I said,
> an ungly hack... how do I extract the strings? what's the
> right way?

The documentation of gettext from its CVS (not yet released) repport that
for sh scripts, no extractor is known, but for bash 2.0 or higher, you
should give a try to `bash --dump-po-strings`

Please note that I didn't test it, and don't have more info on that point.

Bye, Mt.

--
Un clavier azerty en vaut deux.