Re: problems with the translated description...

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 07:02:45PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
[...]
> > *Why are the translations not marked with a
> > version number?
>
> We don't need a version number.
>
> The server save the description as a whole and all parts of the
> description. The server save the email address from the last
> translators too.
>
> If a description changed the server send a mail to the last
> translators with the
>  old description
>  a diff of the description
>  the new description and
>  the old translation
> Normal the changes are very small and the german translators send the
> new translation in 24 hours.

And if nobody do update these fields, is it possible to take over this
package description and receive these informations?

> The server translate only unchanged description or (if he don't find a
> translation) unchanged parts/sections. You see we don't need version
> numbers.

I will discuss this issue in a separate mail, on debian-i18n only.

> I see in debian-french-i10n@l.d.o a mail with a translated description
> and the translator was asking for comments.
>
> You don't need this. (only you have a real problem with the
> translation.)
> I have this on my TODO-list:
>    all translated description send the server to a second translator

randomly?

>    and this translator can check the spelling.
>
> With this, every description will check. But now we/you should
> translate the description. This is a lot of work and we must start
> some time. If we have translated > 50% we can start with this cross
> checks.

How translation teams do internally work is not your concern, any choice
(quantity vs. quality) has its pros and cons.

> more problems or questions?
>

> PS: if you will start a translation, send a mail to
>     grisu-td@auric.debian.org with a subject 'GET 1 fr'

I want to translate the packages I maintain and so know well, how can I
do?  (This is a dummy example, I do not plan doing it just now).

Denis