Re: New Unifont release

"David Starner" <dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org> writes:

> Known Issues: [...]  Some of the ideographs use all four edges of
> the 16 by 16 square, meaning they may blur together when used in
> many programs. (I need an educated opinion by someone who reads
> Chinese or Japanese on how serious this problem is.)

While not a native reader, I do read Japanese on a daily basis.  When
ideographs "blur together" I find it significantly more difficult to
read.  Many ideographs are pretty much square to begin with, so their
edges "touch" on most sides.  Add to this the absence of word spacing
and a generally higher black/white ratio for most ideographs (when
compared to Latin glyphs) and paragraphs get an uncomfortable level of
blackness to them as far as I'm concerned.
Whether educated or not, at least it's an opinion ;-)

> * Many CJK ideographs are suboptimal in the Unifont, since they
> fill the 16x16 square instead of leaving room below, above or to the
> right, as a proper Unifont character should. We could import them from a
> scalable font, or undersized versions from fixed. Or we could find
> someone in the mood to draw 30,000 ideographs specially for unifont.
> (And if you are, would you mind going a little further and doing all the
> Plane 2 characters as well?)

I use a 14x14 fontset with Emacs where the Japanese font suffers from
the problem mentioned above but is for the rest very readable.  Using
this might be a good idea although I think it'll introduce a bit too
much whitespace.  A 15x15 font is probably a better starting point.

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development

     Free Software: `No walls, no windows!  No fences, no gates!'