Help with man-db #40743

I should say first that I have virtually no experience with locale
programming, being yet another native English speaker who rarely needs
to venture outside his comfortable LANG=C.

With that in mind, I have an open bug (#40743) against man-db, which
asks for its treatment of LANG, LC_*, and LANGUAGE to be changed. I'm
happy to make sure that the patch applies cleanly and still does what it
says it does, and I'll try to update the documentation too, but I'd like
to check that the behaviour described in the bug report is what i18n
people expect.

Note that man now uses LC_ALL rather than LC_MESSAGES, courtesy of the
patch in #75559. I see from perllocale(1) that LANGUAGE "affects the
language of informational, warning, and error messages output by
commands (in other words, it's like `LC_MESSAGES')", so is it correct to
use it for formatting man pages? The bug report says that it's supported
by other implementations of man, so I suppose it would do no harm for
man-db to support it too.

If somebody could have a look at this bug, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,