Re: [I18n]Re: mlterm with BiDi support

> Hi,
>
> I'm a native persian speaker, have wrote many parts of fribidi
> library, and also working on console bidi, as all of you agree,
> almost all command line tools (like cat, tr, grep, ...), should do
> nothing about bidi, and on the other side, their output on terminal
> should be readable, then bidi is necessery on terminal, this also
> happens for all applications that are subject to gnu translation
> project, I mean that when I put my persian message files there, I
> should be able to get right messages in persian.
>
> But not all the time console can handle bidi, the application level
> bidi should be used where the application is to be run on a console
> (and say, not redirected to a file...) and keeps track of cursor
> position, does some ansi escape codes to move cursor, ..., like
> browsers, editors, menu bars, ....

I have much less experience then the honorable writer of the original
message.
Yet I do think that writing Hebrew applications should be as easy as
writing ASCII ones. And by that I mean that one should be able to
output to the terminal an Hebrew paragraph and have the terminal print
it in a right to left direction, including starting another line of
text at the rightmost position of the line when the previous line is
filled up. Just as
    printf("Suppose this is a very long English text.\n");
would wrap at the rightmost position of the terminal and continue at
the leftmost position of the next line without the programmer
intervention so does an Hebrew text would wrap at the leftmost position
and continues at the rightmost position of the next line. Further more,
we are talking about BiDi here which means that LTR languages (and
numbers) that are embedded in the Hebrew text should be printed in this
Hebrew message in their natural order and vice versa.
Putting it otherwise, an Hebrew speaker student who just start to learn
to program should be able to write his simple terminal based programs
just as easily as his counterpart who speaks `ASCII'. I guess he will
have to use wchar for that but other then this I would like him to be
as little concerned as possible due to his RTL needs. Moreover: he
should be able to display and get as input multi lingual text with
easily.

> What we have found is to enable the bidi on terminal, ask applications
> that support bidi, to send a bidi-off escape code to terminal, and do
> the stuff themselves, for example, libncurses, should support bidi and
> turn the terminal bidi off on initscr()...

Can you explain what do you mean by `libncurses, should support bidi'?
Why not having the BiDi stuff centralized at one point (the terminal)
instead of having it spread across many (ncurses, slang, libraries for
text only processing)?

--

    Shaul Karl
    email: shaulka(at-no-spam)bezeqint.net