Using gettext in scripts

Hello,

maybe someone here can point me to some good manual on how to
use gettext on shell scripts?

my main problem is how to get the strings on the shell script
written to a potfile, are there specific options to xgettext?

I made an ugly hack, made a .c file with _("message") and
processed it with xgettext to build the potfile, then
translated it to pt_BR to try it out and called gettext
from inside the script and it works, but it is, as I said,
an ungly hack... how do I extract the strings? what's the
right way?

[]s!

--
    Gustavo Noronha Silva - kov <http://www.metainfo.org/kov>
| : :'  : + Debian BR.......: <http://debian-br.cipsga.org.br>+
| `. `'`  + Q: "Why did the chicken cross the road?"          +
|   `-    | A: "Upstream's decision." -- hmh                  |