Re: Euro key

Nicolas SABOURET <Nicolas.Sabouret@limsi.fr>:

> I'm sorry if this looks like a newbie's question, but I can't have the
> Euro key work, and I'd like to understand the mechanism.
>
> In X11, I can make a "cent" (¢) with AltGr+c but AltGr+e prints:
> 	- e on Potato
> 	- nothing on Woody
> and AltGr+$ gives me the strange "currency" sign (round inside a cross).
> How can I fix this ?
>
> In console, if I "loadkeys euro.inc.gz", I can make the cent, but get a
> square for AltGr+e. Same for Altgr+$ (currency).
> I suppose this is due to a bad console font. How can I fix this ? Will I
> see the "euro" sign or the "currency" stuff ?

It's probably easier to sort out the font before trying to get the key
map right. If you want to check the font independently of the key map,
you can print a Euro sign (U+20AC) on a UTF-8 terminal with:

$ printf "\xe2\x82\xac\n"
€
$

And there you've got one in this e-mail message, too.

If you're not using a UTF-8 terminal, then presumably you're using an
ISO-8859-15 terminal, as I don't know of any other charset that has
the Euro sign. On an ISO-8859-15 terminal you could use:

$ printf "\xa4\n"

The currency sign '¤' is U+00A4, so you can see that the Euro sign
apparently replaces it in ISO-8859-15.

Edmund