Re: localized Packages and debconf templates

On Wed, Aug 08, 2001 at 03:57:45PM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> Em Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:37:19 +0200
> Radovan Garabik <garabik@melkor.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk> escreveu:

> > This would require changes in dpkg.
> I don't like this approach as dpkg would have to be modified but it

Neither do I. Modification of dpkg is a serious issue.

> has the advantage that even if you got the package off from an
> ftp site without getting the Packages.gz before you'd hae the description
> translated...

Of course, the localized Packages would still be complete, only
a way of generating them would be slightly different.

> > With growing number of target languages, situation can however
> > become rather unpleasant (think of >20 languages - maintainer
> > would end up doing nothing else except of maintaining submitted
> > translations)
> I don't think that managing > 20 languages would be that time
> consuming.... if you have good politicies on handling templates
> (having them separated and then merging them as needed, for example)
> it would be as simple as adding the file to debian/ and modifying
> (or not) debian/rules

well, imagine what happens if you (as a translator) make a new
version of the package, modifying debconf template.

You can now wait until you get updated translations (bad), or you can
upload it English-only (not ideal) and do >20 following uploads as >20
translations come in following weeks (or wait for all of them to come),
or try to modify translations by yourself (impossible).

Debconf remplates could benefit from centralized database too.
(as well as localized Packages could benefit from a bit of more
direct maintainer interaction)

BTW how do translating teams monitor changes in templates?