Re: Japanese fonts

Hi,

I am a developer of Debian language-env package.

At 25 Jul 2001 08:50:38 +0900,
Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@epkowa.co.jp> wrote:

> > I saw your message concerning Japanese fonts on debian-i18n, could
> > you share some of your knowledge?  I am interested in fonts useful
> > for Japanese under Debian GNU/Linux--I had a look at some fonts, but
> > quite a few of them were unreadable.  I would appreciate any
> > pointers/hints for fonts, Emacs settings, etc.
>
> Install task-japanese and language-env (or user-ja) to begin with.
> Run `set-language-env ja` (or whatever the equivalent is in user-ja)
> and you should be on your way, mostly.

`set-language-env -l ja` or `user-ja-conf`.  `tklanguage` is also useful.

> I'm rather picky about what gets stuck in my configuration files and
> merely used whatever language-env put there as a jumping board for my
> own setup.  I only want to be able to use Japanese conveniently in an
> otherwise English environment.  No Japanese manpages and menus for me,
> please!  ;-)

Major part users of "Japanese" configuration is Japanese people.
Thus it is meaningful to suggest to install Japanese manpages and
so on.  (This is why comments are written in Japanese language in
Japanese configuration.)  Fortunately, there are some books to
configure Japanese environment.  (Though you cannot believe, we
have some thick books which explain how to configure Japanese
environment.)

> BTW, language-env may still put some stuff in your config files that
> has absolutely nothing to do with setting up a (natural) language
> environment (e.g. global-font-lock-mode, c-set-style stuff in .emacs,
> PATH settings in .bashrc)

Yes, generally.  They are settings which are popular among Japanese
people.  PATH?  I wrote it so that the PATH contains /usr/bin/mh
because MH is one of popular softwares in Japan.  (Recently the
situation is changing because Mew doesn't use MH anymore.)

One more reason for PATH is that I once prepared
~/bin/x-terminal-emulator which invokes kterm or krxvt instead of
xterm or rxvt if available.  I removed it because it doesn't work
well.  Instead, I decided to make an effort to improve terminal
emulators to support multibyte languages and locale sensibility.
The upstream development version of Rxvt achieves this but it is
not included in Debian yet.

> with the following Japanese fonts installed:
>
>   asiya24-vfont (1-9), watanabe-vfont (1-8), xfonts-a12k12 (1-4),
>   xfonts-intl-japanese (1.2-2), xfonts-intl-japanese-big (1.2-2),
>   xfonts-marumoji (0.2-5) and xfonts-shinonome (1-2)

For Woody/Sid, xfonts-base includes a basic Japanese font.  For
Potato, xfonts-cjk is the most basic package for Japanese font.

> Then I use gnus (5.8.8-2) for all my mail/news needs without any
> customizations specific to Japanese.

Emacs-lisp is a good platform to write multilingual softwares.
(This is why almost Japanese people use Emacs-based mail clients.)