Re: You know this templates translation page ?

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 03:38:06PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> Now I make thoughts how to translate all the package file
> descriptions... I start a webpage (very alpha)
> (http://auric.debian.org/~grisu/description_translation/

There is already a project to translate descriptions into spanish at www.laespiral.org (a spanish group aiming to promote Debian in the spanish comunity)
Also there is another project based on the last one to use this ideas for all languages. It is called Debian DIP (Debian Descriptions Internationalization Project).
We are currently working on it. You can see some of i at dip.debian.org.br/anderson/
For now we are 3 person doing it and we would love to anyone join us.
If there is people interested on the project I can post the description of the project that we are using to develop it.
We have an idea of how to use this descriptions to make them available to the users (based on some ideas from Jaime Villate).
Basicaly the idea is to generate different Packages.gz with the translations for each language. When you do this apt and all programs that uses this file, use the translated descriptions.
In orther to avoid changing apt you can place this line
deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian unstable/es main contrib non-free
to make apt look in a different directory and get the spanish translations in this case.

> We have more than 6000 descriptions... And daily we have new packages,
> changes, etc. How should we work with this?!

Actually more than that because you have 2 descriptions for each package. On the other hand the good news is that some packages share the same description.

Regards,

Héctor